Every year, Medicare Open Enrollment Runs from October 15th through December 7th. The Open Enrollment period is a great opportunity for pharmacies to create value for their patients, and improve customer loyalty by helping them choose the right plan.
But just what does this actually look like in a pharmacy? As we discovered when we sat down with 3 pharmacy professionals in November of 2020, the sky is the limit when it comes to running Medicare Open Enrollment Program.
You can watch the full panel discussion here or continue reading for some quick Medicare Open Enrollment tips.
- Get the Word out – Do your customers even know that they can come to you for help with Medicare Open Enrollment? Many may not know that this is a service you offer. So spread the word any way you can. Proactively reach out to 65 and older patients to schedule appointments. Use your IVR system to make automatic calls. Put bag stuffers in every bag. And yes, we mean every bag. Even a customer in their 20’s might have a friend or family member who could benefit from your help! You can even set up your pharmacy point of sale system to print a Medicare Open Enrollment promo on the bottom of your receipt and update your customer displays with important information.
- Focus on Education – Help your patients realize that they should be shopping for their Medicare Program every year during Open Enrollment. Hi-light the benefits, like saving money so they see the value in participating with your pharmacy program every year.
- Identify Issues – As you help patients choose their Medicare coverage, make sure to look at the prescriptions they are taking to look for instances where a particular plan might not cover all of their medications. This will help to create value and avoid unpleasant surprises in the future. Listen to your customers to see what cues they are giving you to identify additional concerns or potential difficulties.
- Make it an event – Pharmacist and SolutionsRx Founder Chris Cornelison created a buzz in the community by marketing to a specific day as “Med-D Day”. Schedule appointments throughout the day. Have snacks, maybe giveaways, and in store promotions to make your pharmacy a Medicare Open Enrollment destination.
- Track your progress – Keep a tally of how much you are saving your patients. Get a poster board and regularly update the tally so everyone can see your progress. And because staff buy in is also important, meet regularly with your team to go over metrics and success.
- Share feedback – When the appreciation comes your way, be sure to share that with your team as well. And ask if you can share testimonials on your website and social media platforms. This is easy, free, and impactful marketing!
What do you do to help your customers with Medicare Open Enrollment? Comment below to share your experiences and top tips!